Monday, May 09, 2005

Paper Radio, Evermore

I'm here to see Aussie emorockers Paper Radio, who I know in advance are a bit meatandU2veg for me. Friends of friends... Luckily for me however, I am in for a surprise treat in the form of Evermore: three brothers from New Zealand. Although cut from the same musical cloth (Joshua Tree is definitely on their best albums of all time list), they are immediately arresting.

I think this has a lot to do with their onstage presence - blood seems to add potency. Think of the Kings of Leon, or partnerships like Mick and Keith who effectively became brothers. The Oldest, Jon (lead vocals and guitar), is clearly at the helm of this ship and steers the set with quiet authority. The songs are rocking, moody, melodic, clean-cut and winning (plenty of tunes on their site, take a listen). Reedy middle brother Peter adds some glamour to the outfit, falling about over his keyboards like a heroin junkie. Young Dann on drums follows brother Jon meticulously, bringing songs to enthusiastic climaxes and artful wind-downs.

I spend Paper Radio's set chewing the fat with Dann who is sporting a blues hat and is remarkably balanced for a 17-year-old on the touring circuit. He offers to put me plus one on the door for their gig at the Marquee the next night and I am more than happy to accept. I have someone in mind for a gig partner.

When: 9/05/05
Who: Evermore, Paper Radio
Where: Borderline
Review by: Jane Rich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home